FACEBOOK

LightBlog

Breaking

LightBlog

Saturday 19 July 2014

BN Cuisine with Chef Fregz: The Condiment Series | Mayonnaise 101


Salut BN Cuisine Fam!
Yes it feels good to be back! I know some of you who follow on Instagram would be saying “ah! after all your obodo amurickan trips, you’re now back! kaabo!” Well thank you! Although people like Dooney were extremely jealous and started drinking Panadaol for headache that was not her own. But diaris is what? God!
My food tour was really (expensiveeeee) GOOD! There were some disappointing moments as well, but all great in the bigger picture.
I would be showing a thing or two of what I’ve picked up and I’m starting that at Chef Fregz Special this month! Yes Chef Fregz Special is back! July 27th is the date.. but before I get all trigger happy let’s focus on why we are here.
For the next few posts I’m going to be focusing on condiments. Things we add to our meals but don’t think we can make at home.
Trust me there are really easy to make, well at least some of them. Today, we are looking at one of the most popular condiments worldwide. Dubbed the mother of all sauces…Mayonnaise a.k.a mayo! We got tired of adding the “nnaise”. Just too too long.
The mayo I’m making today shows the basic standard mayonnaise. I have added a to it with Smoked Paprika. Paprika is basically smoked Tatashe pepper that has been ground. Then, ground to a powder. It has a mild heat with a little sweetness. On its own is good but when it ’s now smoked paprika, that is now another level of awesome.
I know I have raved about it here before but trust me it’s a real superstar when it comes to seasoning your food. It works with chicken, fish, beef and even vegetables.
Today, it features in my mayonnaise most especially because my friend Hauwa Datti Garba took me to a restaurant where we had this paprika mayo that was house made. I think we ordered only starters that day because we wanted to eat more of the mayo.Mayonnaise is a tough job when you make it by hand, but when you do it with a food processor it is a breeze!
Here’s what you need to make your mayonnaise
2 large or 3 medium egg yolks
600ml vegetable oil (olive oil may be used but the flavour is too strong)
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-2 tablespoons lemon juice
A splash of vinegar or 1 teaspoon mustard (optional)
3/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
IMG_1354
IMG_1358
IMG_1360
How To
In a food processor (you can use the small hand processor for a small batch) place the egg yolks and turn it up to the medium speed. Mine has a just speed 1 and 2 and I went straight to 2. It was fast but not a turbine.
Now the most important thing is the oil. You need to pour it in a thin steady stream. This is why doing it with the traditional mix is serious wahala.
As the blade is running, pour the oil slowly in the thin steady stream and just watch the egg double in volume. Keep doing this for about 3 minutes or till it has almost tripled in volume. Then add the lemon juice, paprika and salt. Don’t forget the mustard and/or vinegar if you’re using.
Whizz again and add whatever oil is left. Then check that the seasoning is to your taste, and pour into a mason jar or whatever container you have.
IMG_1364
IMG_1395
Fresh mayo like this can keep from about 4 days to a week.
IMG_1402
IMG_1415
I recommend you use this on a beefy sandwich or on some roast chicken or in a potato salad.
P:S Please if you have some pureed garlic or some roasted garlic (even better) do add a little to the mix it would make the taste even better!
Before I sign off, please don’t forget Chef Fregz Special is on the 27th of July 2014…. go to your calendar now and lock that date in! It is happening at the GET arena in Oniru and starts 12noon.
Please visit www.cheffregz.com for full menu. God bless you as you come!
Have a great weekend people!

No comments:

Adbox